This course will examine strategies for coaching including in-person communication strategies in a coaching session, coaching strategies for virtual, an understanding of ethics regarding note taking, and use of technology. This three-part webinar series takes a deep dive into the essential communication skills needed to initiate a coaching plan with a client. Attendees will learn how to question for understanding and listen for meaning so they can identify factors that can impact the coaching plan and client progress. Having a better understanding through use of effective communication skills, the coach will be prepared to identify the client’s motivational level, stage of change, and obstacles, and use direct communication to empower the client’s progression through the stages of change.
Course Content Areas:
- Using questions to gain insight in motivation and engagement in active listening;
- The power of language for coaching in person and virtually;
- The basics of a coaching plan;
- Communication accommodations; and
- Communication strategies with diverse populations.
Following this program, you will be able to:
- Use powerful questions at the start of a session to gain insight into the client’s need and motivational level with the aim to better engage and connect coaches with clients in an impactful and meaningful way;
- Engage active listening skills to recognize and determine the client’s agenda, thereby enabling coaches to recognize the client’s concerns, beliefs, and values so they can develop a coaching plan that takes the client from where they are to where they want to be;
- Learn how to empower clients using authentic dialogue and direct communication, gain a better understanding of the power of language, and explore strategies that contribute to the client’s self-discovery, reflection, and understanding by providing feedback that is appropriate and respectful to the needs of the client;
- Understand the role of coaching and technology with virtual coaching, as well as communicating through email, digital coaching notes, and exchange of knowledge and ideas; and
- Review communication strategies around advocacy for coaching.